Saturday, November 18, 2006

:: Death Day ::

:: today is not about fitness. nor is it about speed. it is not about the numbers; i do not care about calories burned or average heart rate. i will not critique my fitness, technique, or form in my mind. resisting tempatation, i remain calm so as to soak it all in; figure out what it all means. under my jacket i wear the same jersey i had on that pivotal day 6 years ago, which usually hangs in a hallowed place in my closet. i can feel it there. i feel the scar on my scalp under my helmet. i remember the way the forest looked and smelled and felt. i remember the deer and i wonder if he knows the chain of events that his presence set in motion. like a signpost along the road of life, he marks the beginning of a new direction. at first it seemed like a detour, an inconvience. and at an especially inconvient time. but such are death days. i fear that if i hadn't been taken so low, i would not have understood the meaning of the climb back up. and so today is a somber celebration. ::

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy death day!! Even though I did not know you six years ago, I am truly happy and blessed that you are here now and that I am able to celebrate this notorious day with you.

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're not dead. I value your friendship and hope you live on to ride many miles and raise many pints!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You still gotta train, though.

ted a.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, more of the same. I had a little tussle with the asphalt about 3 weeks ago and am still nursing some cracked ribs and a separated shoulder. Lucky tho, could have been worse (of course).

Rubber side down, I say. Here's to getting back in the saddle again.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home